Big Value Garden Center
Hair-Raising Halloween Arrangement
• Jack-O-Lantern, faux or the real deal, approximately 8- to 10-inches in diameter- (carved eyes, nose, mouth are optional)
• 1 sheet yellow construction paper
• Water-proof liner for the inside of the Jack-O-Lantern.
• 2 bricks floral foam
• 2 wood picks or 1 wood shish kabob skewer
• 1 bunch bear grass
• 4 to 5 rubber bands
• 2 stems orange germini's (miniature gerbera daisies)
• 3 stems orange gerbera daisies
• 4 stems papyrus
• 1 dozen greening pins or 5 lengths of straight heavy gauge straight wire
• Witches hat
• Half a yard orange decorative ribbon, 1/2-inch wide
• Floral clippers, scissors, paring knife and flower food
1. Soak the floral foam thoroughly in water that has been treated with flower food.
2. Fill the water-proof liner with one block of floral foam and insert it into the pumpkin (carve the foam to fit). Insert two wood picks (or cut shish kabob skewers) partially into the top of the foam. Now set the other brick of foam on top of the first piece, inserting it into the wood picks/skewers.
3. With a paring knife, carve the foam that is sticking out of the pumpkin into a cone shape.
4. Divide the bear grass into four or five smaller bunches and rubber band the individual bunches.
5. Starting at the rim of the pumpkin, where the foam first juts out of the top of the jack-o-lantern, begin wrapping the bear grass up and around the foam cone. Wrap the bear grass around the foam, tightly, using greening pins as you go to hold the bear grass in place. (If not using greening pins, cut the straight wire into 3-inch lengths; bend in half to form a bobbie-pin shape. Use these wire pins in place of greening pins.)
6. Repeat step five until the entire foam cone is wrapped with bear grass.
7. Now set the witch's hat partially over the cone. Pin it in place.
8. Cut the papyrus stems approximately 2-inches in length, and insert them into the "bang" area of the jack-o-lantern (above the eyes). With scissors, cut some of the bangs short and leave some long.
9. Insert the gerbera and germini daisies just above the bangs.
10. The ribbon gets tied into a bow, as you would tie your shoe, and is attached with a greening pin.
For more ideas on how to use flowers to dress up your home for fall, log on to www.flowerpossibilities.com.